Global Engagement at The University of Mississippi
The Office of Global Engagement (OGE) is responsible for the development, promotion, and support for all global engagement activities on campus. Our goal is the comprehensive internationalization of the university, and the development of our students, faculty, and staff as global citizens. OGE fosters the growth of multidisciplinary and collaborative partnerships both within the university community and around the world, in support of our institutional position as the flagship university of the State of Mississippi, and as a renowned global public research university.
Our Office of Global Engagement is a multidisciplinary network of people and programs that continuously strive to bring the world to Mississippi and take Mississippi to the world in ways that engenders the development of global citizenship, scholarship, and human development. We partner with academic and non-academic units across the university in the drive to enhance the global content of our academic and non-academic programs, and in so doing promote a seamless international engagements in all disciplines. In the increasingly global village that is currently our world, The University of Mississippi strives to produce global leaders from all disciplines through our international studies programs that include international internships and service learning, study abroad, exchange programs, a vibrant international students population together with extensive research and educational partnerships with leading education and research institutions around the globe.
We strive to provide international education and research opportunities to all of our students, faculty, and staff. These opportunities invariably provide transformative experiences that allow our students to learn, engage, and interact with their peers across multiple languages and cultures around the world, and to see themselves as global citizens. These experiences prepare them as future global leaders in all fields of professional endeavors. International students and scholars from more than 90 countries enrich our University community by contributing to the continuing internationalization of our university, and also by fostering a rich multicultural atmosphere, while helping to extend the reach and footprint of Ole Miss as a global university.
The Office of Global Engagement is made up of 4 constituent offices and special programs, including the Office of International Programs (OIP), Intensive English Program (IEP), Study Abroad Office (SAO), and the US Japan Partnership Program (USJP). Once again, welcome to the Office of Global Engagement at Ole Miss. Please do not hesitate to use this opportunity to explore the rich variety of programs in each of our departments.
The mission of the Office of Global Engagement is to provide leadership for the comprehensive internationalization of The University of Mississippi by fostering the growth and development of our international programs and services in order to increase the exposure of our students to a multicultural and internationally enriched education. As today’s students graduate into a global workforce and market place that have virtually no borders, it is imperative for Ole Miss as a major national university to expand its international footprint and to train our students to take advantage of the inherent opportunities of a globalized market place and be future global leaders.
What is Global Engagement at UM?
In addition to the operations of its four core programs (IEP, OIP, SAO, and USJP), the Office of Global Engagement (OGE) provides the leadership necessary for internationalization efforts at The University of Mississippi. OGE is the primary resource for international students, faculty, and staff at UM, as well as for UM students and employees traveling abroad to study or on University business.
Global Engagement actively supports the UM Strategic Plan, Flagship Forward, in its goal to educate and engage global citizens. Toward this goal, OGE directly supports the following actions:
- Enhance study abroad programs and opportunities for students
- Study abroad participation increased 23% from 2016 – 2017
- Total number of student participants on UM-approved study abroad programs for 2018 is 677
- Please see the Study Abroad Report (September 2019) for additional information.
- Increase international undergraduate student enrollment
- Recruitment partnership finalized in December 2017
- Collaboration with on-campus partners to make UM even more welcoming, through increasing diverse dining, housing, and transportation options and streamlining the admissions process
- Expand faculty engagement abroad
- International Collaboration Grant for Faculty – Faculty can apply for up to $4,000 in funds to support collaborations (research, collaboration, and technical assistance initiatives).
- The new agreements database shows UM’s Global Footprint. Faculty interested in collaborating, teaching, researching, or sending students to study with current partners can now see all partnerships at UM.
- More and more UM faculty are proposing and leading study abroad programs.