skip to main content

Global Engagement

The University of Mississippi – Office of Global Engagement

University Travel

University travel, regardless of funding source (10, 25, 35), is restricted due to COVID-19.  Faculty, staff, or students seeking approval of travel at this time must submit a COVID-19 travel waiver exemption form available from the Office of Procurement Services.

Study abroad programs during fall, spring, winter, and summer 2021 are open for participation if the program meets certain guidelines.  Students interested in study abroad should contact the UM Study Abroad Office at

Faculty-directed study abroad programs, which include short-term summer, winter, or spring break programs with a UM faculty member traveling with a group of UM students, have been canceled for summer 2020, winter 2021, and spring break 2021.  We are accepting student applications for summer 2021 programs and will make viability decisions in mid- to late-March 2021.  In addition to program-specific analyses, a country analysis page is maintained by the Study Abroad Office.

Traveler Requirements

For entry into the United States, applicable to all travelers regardless of citizenship:

The U.S. Department of State and U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) remind all travelers that beginning Tuesday, January 26, 2021, all air passengers two years of age or older arriving to the United States must provide proof of a negative COVID-19 test or proof of recovery from COVID-19 before boarding.  This order applies to both foreign nationals and U.S. citizens. For more information about the testing requirement, visit: Requirement for Proof of Negative COVID-19 Test or Recovery from COVID-19 for All Air Passengers Arriving in the United States | CDC .

Carefully consider the following before traveling internationally:

  • You could have difficulty accessing a test. Testing availability and turnaround times vary widely around the world. Check the U.S. Embassy website for your planned destination(s) for information about testing options. What plan do you have to ensure you can get a test that meets the requirement in order to come home on time?
  • You could test positive and have to stay abroad. Many individuals infected with the virus that causes COVID-19 are asymptomatic and unaware they carry the virus. If you test positive, you will not be able to return home as planned. What plan do you have in case you cannot come home for several weeks? Where will you stay? How will you finance your stay?
  • You could have difficulty accessing or financing medical care. Travelers should be aware that the availability and quality of healthcare varies around the world, and that private health insurance may not cover expenses incurred abroad. Will your health insurance cover your hospitalization or other medical expenses abroad? Do you have travel insurance that covers medical evacuation to the United States, and does it include COVID-19 as a covered item?

The CDC recommends that travelers be tested again within 3 – 5 days of arrival in the United States, and stay home for 7 days after arrival.

We recommend that you be in touch with your airline if you have specific questions about the requirement, local test options, and documentation required.  Airlines are enforcing the requirement for flights coming to the United States.  FAQ are available at the CDC’s website.


With specific exceptions, foreign nationals who have been in any of the following countries during the past 14 days may not enter the United States. For a full list of exceptions and proclamations specific to each country/area, please visit the CDC website.

  • China
  • Iran
  • European Schengen area (Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Monaco, San Marino, Vatican City)
  • United Kingdom (England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland)
  • Republic of Ireland
  • Brazil
  • South Africa – new as of 1/26/21

Read the most recent Proclamation, issued January 25, 2021.

Entry/Exit Requirements:

Airlines and destination countries have varied requirements to exit the United States and enter another country.  Travelers are responsible for knowing what COVID tests, if any, are required to board a flight or enter another country.  Most international travelers will need at least a negative PCR test taken within 72 hours of their departure flight; however, requirements vary.

The University of Mississippi continues to offer free asymptomatic testing at the Ford Center media parking lot for faculty, staff, and students.  The test is a viral PCR test.  If you need a different test to travel, please check the link below for other clinics and options.  Not all clinics offer all tests, so make sure to research the best location for you well in advance of your departure.

For additional entry/exit requirements, see the United States Department of State’s country information pages on its website.

Many major airports are offering COVID testing on site, though not same-day testing.  Check your departure airport’s website and/or airline for guidance.

International Health and Safety Insurance

The University of Mississippi highly recommends that any UM faculty, staff, or student enroll in UM’s international health and safety insurance when traveling outside of the United States unless automatically enrolled due to participation in study abroad programs.  To enroll, please email  The cost is $46 per month (minimum coverage period is 30 days).  Dependent coverage for spouses and children is also available at $98 per month.  The AY 2020/2021 insurance policy is available for review in Box.

In addition, we highly recommend that US citizens enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) through the US Department of State.  This program notifies the local embassy or consulate of US citizen presence abroad and provides automatic updates on news in the country/region and assistance if needed.  Non-US-citizens should check their home country’s Department of State equivalent for similar safety and registration programs.

Recruitment Materials

If you need recruitment materials to share with prospective students or institutions, PDFs are available in Box.  Hard copies of the general brochure and other items are available upon request.  Please email if you would like paper copies of the brochure and other recruitment materials (small giveaways such as novelty UM footballs, lanyards, stickers), and we will prepare a pack for you.


Please see UM’s Global Footprint for a database of current UM partners.  If you would like to visit any of our current partners while traveling, please contact for contact information and past/current collaborations.  If you are interested in creating a new partnership for UM, please review the Partnership Criteria.  Feel free to reach out to OGE or create a new proposal for a partnership in the Global Footprint database.