Global Engagement

The University of Mississippi – Office of Global Engagement

Information for New Students

Posted on: July 14th, 2020 by blair

We know that there are a lot of stressful barriers to new students’ arrival this fall, such as limited visa appointments, limited flights, and entry bans.  We hope to answer your questions below.

If I cannot get a visa appointment prior to the start of the semester, can I take classes online from my home country?

• The answer to this question depends on where you are located.  Every country has rules about universities offering classes online.  As we determine if this is possible for you, we will update our website with country information.  Final guidance should be available by July 31, 2020.

The US has issued an entry ban on my home country.  What options do I have?

• There are current entry bans for non-US citizens who have been in the following countries for 14 days prior to entry into the US: China, Iran, European Schengen Region, UK, Ireland, and Brazil.
  • Students can enter another country not on the list for 14 days prior to entry into the US.  It is also recommended that you monitor your home country’s Embassy page and other resources.
  • We have also heard that there may be exceptions granted.

I do not have a visa appointment and the earliest available appointment is after the start of the semester.  What options do I have?

• In general, students are able to arrive and register for courses during the first 10 days of classes.  More flexibility is available for graduate students.  If arrival is after the first 10 days of classes, you risk being at a disadvantage because you will be behind in your classes.  Please be in touch with your OIP advisor at ipdept@olemiss.edu for any arrival-specific questions.

Will I be required to quarantine upon arrival?

• Yes, UM follows CDC recommendations that ask incoming international travelers, regardless of citizenship, to quarantine for 14 days after entering the US.
  • We will provide information on the procedure for incoming international travelers closer to arrival day.  Note that students who are arriving in Oxford from within the US do not have to quarantine at this moment.
  • Please protect yourselves during travel by following CDC guidance.